These Sour Cream Banana Bars have some hidden tricks to them that you will want to know about. Before you bake these, make sure you note that there are a lot of bananas and flaxseed in this recipe. The reason I chose these ingredients is because they cancel each other out like none other. I know, I am baking at the same time I am thinking about staying regular! I want you to be regular and to not be constipated the next time you eat banana filled bars. The bananas will most likely try to bung you up meanwhile the flaxseed will counteract any of the bananas effects on you. The result is a perfectly well balanced treat. Now go ahead and try these bars and tell me what you think of this idea. I can speak first hand that these banana bars kept my household nice and regular!
PS: Overdo the flaxseed if you want to play a nice practical joke on someone!
1 ½ cup Granulated sugar
1 cup Sour cream
½ cup Butter, unsalted
2 Large eggs
2 cups Mashed bananas (4 large)
2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
2 cups All-purpose flour
1 tsp Salt
1 cup Oats
¼ cup Flaxseed
1 tsp Baking soda
¾ cup Chocolate chips
½ cup Chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans)
¼ cup Butter, unsalted
2 ¼ cups Powdered sugar
1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
2 ½ tbsp Half and half cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line one 9X13 inch pan with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, beat together sugar, sour cream, butter, and eggs for one minute.
- Add the bananas and vanilla and beat for another 30 minutes.
- In medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, oats, and flaxseed.
- Add the flour mix to the sugar mix in 2 additions and mixing until incorporated after each addition.
- Stir in the nuts and chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the bars cool for 30 minutes on a cooling rack and prepare the frosting.
- Mix together the softened butter, and powdered sugar Add the vanilla and the half and half until it is at desired consistency. Spread all over the bars and let cool. Serve and enjoy!