Hey! I hope you are all having a nice and relaxing summer with as many barbecues and baked goods as possible. As you may have noticed over the last few months, I have had a hard time sneaking in my love for baking a midst all the summer activities going on in Calgary and area. All the work that I have been doing has also really taken a bite out of the time that I normally have to just hang out in the kitchen and bake delicious treats for all your eyes to eat up! Hopefully as the fall season comes into play in the coming months, I will be able to concoct up some tantalizing recipes, recipes that you will have a hard time resisting when the leaves start to hit the ol’ ground.
Someone always told me that you always have to try something first before you can rave about it. I am not quite sure who this mastermind is anymore but it sure got me thinking about baking everything myself. The best part about these muffins is that you don’t have to feel guilty about having a big serving of apple pie and ice cream when you take a bite out of one of these. I mean who doesn’t want a mini dose of apple pie at anytime during the day! They are loaded with apple chunks to your delight and they will demand that you have more. To be honest, half of the batch was gone before these muffins could even cool down!
Makes 12 muffins
2 ¼ cups All-purpose flour
1 tsp Baking soda
½ tsp Salt
1 cup Buttermilk
½ cup Butter, melted
1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
1 ½ cups Packed brown sugar
2 cups Sliced apples
½ cup Packed brown sugar
1/3 cup All-purpose flour
1 tsp Ground cinnamon
2 tbsp Butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate smaller bowl, mix together the egg, buttermilk, melted butter, vanilla and brown sugar until sugar has dissolved. Pour into the flour mixture and mix the diced apple into the bowl as well. Stir just until everything is incorporated. Spoon into the prepared muffin tin, filling the cups to the top.
- In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Drizzle the melted butter while tossing with a fork until well blended. Sprinkle this over the tops of the muffins.
- Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the tops of the muffins spring back when lightly pressed. Enjoy!