Simple, yet delicious. Delicious, yet really, really easy to bake. Really, really easy to bake, yet scrumptious and gift give-able. You get the point. Simple snickerdoodles are a treat that have lasted the test of time and for many obvious and delicious reasons.The origins of this cookie are unknown, but many folks still find it necessary to pin point the snickerdoodle cookie to Germany from the German word Schneckennudeln aka snail noodles, a kind of pastry made in Germany. But who really cares?! Stop all the fuss and try making these cookies the next time you want a quick cookie or snack. They pair great with, well, anything! Lasagna, salad, tacos, or even ice cream. So go ahead and bake up some simple snickerdoodles already!
Makes around 36-44 snickerdoodles
1 cup Butter, unsalted
1 ½ cups Sugar
2 Large Eggs, at room temperature
2 ½ cups All purpose flour
2 tsp Cream of tartar
1 tsp Baking soda
2 tsp Cinnamon
¼ tsp Salt
3 tbsp Sugar
3 tsp Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Parchment paper ensures that the cookies will not stick and it also makes cleaning up a lot easier.
- Heat up the butter in the microwave for 20-30 seconds until soft.
- In a large bowl cream together butter and the first amount of sugar for 3-5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time until each one is incorporated. About 10 seconds per egg on medium speed.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Add to the butter mixture in 2 additions and mixing until no dry flour remains after each addition. About 10-15 seconds per addition.
- Mix the second amount of sugar and the cinnamon in a bowl.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and coat with the sugar and cinnamon mixture. This gives the Snickerdoodles their irresistible flavour.
- Bake in oven for 8-10 minutes and take them out when they begin to brown on the edges and on the top. Let cool on the sheets for another 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for another 5 minutes. Indulge yourself!