Mmmmmm, St.Patricks Day. This year, instead of sitting around and thinking about all the delicious baked goods out there with green icing and green sprinkles on them, I decided that I would take action and do a little baking myself. What’s on the menu, you ask? Double chocolate cupcakes with Bailey’s Buttercream Icing. Now if that doesn’t spark your fancy this St.Patricks day then you are going to be hooped! I mean, out of the loop.
Makes 24 double chocolate baileys icing cupcakes
1 cup All purpose flour
2 cups Cake flour
2 tsp Baking soda
2 tsp Salt
3 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Nutmeg
1 ¼ cups Granulated sugar
1 cup Brown sugar
1 cup Oil
2 cups Milk (Mix the milk and vinegar together for 5 minutes before putting them in the mixture)
2 tbsp Vinegar
¾ cup Cocoa powder
2 tsp Vanilla extract
1 ½ cups Mini milk chocolate chips
½ cup Butter
¼ cup Bailey’s liquor, or an imitation brand (I used another brand called Carolan’s that tastes the same but costs a lot less!)
2 ½ cups Powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350C and prepare 3 muffin tins (12 muffins each) by spraying them with spray oil and lining them with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all purpose flour, cake flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the white sugar, brown sugar, oil, milk, vinegar, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients in 2 additions until each one is incorporated.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using an ice cream scooper with a releasing mechanism, scoop the double chocolate cupcake batter into the prepared muffin tins.
- Bake the muffins in the oven for about 20-25 minutes. Make sure to check the muffin at 15 or 20 minutes with a toothpick. Take out the muffins when a toothpick comes out clean. Put the hot tins on cooling racks and take them out after 5 minutes.
- While the muffins are baking, prepare the Bailey’s icing by combining the butter, Bailey’s, and the powdered sugar until you have received a thick mixture. Put on room temperature cupcakes so the icing does not melt all over. If the icing is too runny than put it in the fridge for 20 minutes to harden it a bit.
- Now enjoy these double chocolate cupcakes with Bailey’s icing because they are absolutely delicious!